ArtInsights is located in Northern Virginia, just outside Washington D.C.,
close to Dulles International Airport.
The gallery is owned and run by Michael Barry and Leslie Combemale.
Michael is an honors graduate of The Corcoran School of Art in Washington D.C. and is a musician and composer. He has been a master framer for more than 30 years and has represented animation art since 1979.
Leslie began representing animation art in 1988, and she founded ArtInsights with Michael in 1994. She has a background in art history as well as studying jazz vocals with noted musician Ellis Marsalis.
During the gallery’s first year in business, The Walt Disney Company invited ArtInsights to join its Disney Preferred Gallery Advisory Board, an organization comprised of only twelve members worldwide, and won the coveted “Rookie of the Year” award, still on display at the gallery all these years later!
Our philosophy at ArtInsights is simple:
If we represent animation, film and illustrative art honestly and with integrity, collectors will hear about us, and we will continue to grow. Creating a web magazine (www.artinsightsmagazine.com) that educates and enlightens collectors and fans, is one way we show our deep commitment and love of art and creativity –our desire to expand awareness and acceptance of animation, film and illustration art and the artists who create it inspires us every day.
WHAT WE HAVE:
With animation art, our Gallery specializes in original production art, particularly Disney art prior to 1960, but has access to art from all animation studios, including Warner Brothers production art.
We look forward to helping clients, new and seasoned, to cultivate their collection with a well thought-out wish list, so every piece purchased is a welcome and prized addition to their household. Please don’t hesitate to call us today with any questions or requests you may have.
We have delved headfirst into the world of original and limited edition film art, and are adding wonderful new art and artists as we find them. Of course our heart will always belong to John Alvin, so check out his work on the fansite we created for him at www.johnalvinart.com. We have exclusive partnerships with some wonderful artists, as increasingly shown on our website. We create commissions for our clients expressing their unique artistic vision and perspective, celebrating the best and most evocative imagery in film history.
We are proud of our gallery and believe you’ll enjoy working with us and respect our keen eye for great art and dogged pursuit in the acquisition of it for you!
Check Out Our Gallery Blog!
TOP TEN REASONS TO BUY FROM ARTINSIGHTS
1. We’re honest, straightforward, and enthusiastic about what we do.
2. We’re about education, hence the ACES ArtInsights collectors education series.
3. We’ve been selling animation and film art for 23 years, ArtInsights has been open for 16 years, and were on the art advisory board for Disney.
4. We have lots of special shows with guest artists, many of which are the first in the country or are showing worldwide exclusive art.
5. We do a lot of research on every piece we sell and stand behind it all.
6. We think charity connection is an essential part of success as a small business, and we work
with many charities in and outside the gallery.
7. We are a worldwide exclusive gallery representing the original art of John Alvin, and have exclusive art from many well known artists: Mary Grandpre, Tommy Lee Edwards, DC comic art director Mark Chiarello, Randy Martinez, and many more!
8. We are always finding new art and up and coming artists for our clients–not what’s already been made flavor of the month, but beyond next year’s flavor, –a flavor that’ll taste great for years and years! (like an art equivalent to the everlasting gobstopper in Willie Wonka!)
9. We have had more art commissions turned into limited editions by the Disney fine art program
than any other gallery.
10. We never give up on finding the art for our clients, if it takes a day, a year or 12 years!
I showed the Top Ten List to one of our best clients and she said,”Very good, but you forgot to add
‘We find art that is not to be believed, even for our fussiest clients!!’ ” And, yes – she is my fussiest client (said with love, missy, & you know who you are!).
Strictly speaking, we don’t allow collectors to return art. However, we want you to be happy with the art you buy from us, so if you get it and it isn’t exactly what we say it is, give us a call. That, of course, has never happened, but we’d at least like you to know we absolutely stand behind everything we sell! If the art you buy from us is a gift, we allow returns for credit within 14 days.
All layaway downpayments are non-refundable. Special orders and commissions are not returnable unless clearly not what was requested, so make sure they want the art if we’re ordering it or having it made especially for them!
Buyer pays for shipping.
Monday through Friday 10 am to 6 pm
Saturday 12 to 6 pm
Sunday by appointment or random happenstance. (usually 12-4 in those cases)
We will come in outside these hours when called upon, and we are of course MIA in the case of the occasional convention, interview, vacation, etc., but we check our emails!
Thanks for wondering who we are and why we do what we do!